Potato Salad with Personality
It's a picnic standard for a reason – everyone loves potatoes! But this summertime favorite still has a little room for improvement. Perfect your technique and punch up your most-loved basic recipe with a few unique add-ins.
01 First, make a basic dressing: for every cup of mayonnaise use 3-5 tbsp. of vinegar (try flavored vinegars, too), 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper; set aside.
02 Bring to a boil and cook until barely tender.
03 Drain; cool until cool enough to handle.
04 Cut into evenly sized pieces approximately the same shape (slices, cubes, etc.).
05 Toss warm potatoes with 1/4 cup rice vinegar to give them flavor.
06 Toss with dressing and any other ingredients.
Try these add-ins in a combination that suits your fancy:
• 1-2 cups chopped red bell pepper
• 1-2 cups thinly sliced celery, including leaves
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely minced
• 2 tbsp. prepared horseradish
• 1/2 cup diced red onion
• 1-2 cups fresh corn, blanched
• 1/4 cup finely diced dried fruit (such as tart
cherries, apricots or raisins)
• 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
• 1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
• 1-2 cups fresh or frozen sweet peas, blanched
• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 cup hot smoked salmon
• 1/2 lb. cooked pancetta, diced
• 3/4 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 3-4 hard-boiled eggs, diced
• 3/4 cup blue or Parmesan cheese
• 3/4 cup finely diced pickles
• 1 cup chopped, pitted olives
• 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (such as
dill, Italian parsley, basil or chives)
• 3 tbsp. capers
• 2 tbsp. chopped sweet pickled peppers
• 1/2 cup toasted nuts (such as slivered almonds
or chopped walnuts
You can also try one of the classic potato salad recipes below, or pick up everyone's favorite, Aunt Nettie's, or Country Style or Tri-Potato Salad in the Deli Case.